Hello Again, Sydney

One Sydney-sider's experiences moving back to Sydney after a long absence overseas.

Monday, August 13, 2007

Career

noun: an occupation, profession, etc., followed as one's lifework - a career in law.
verb: to run or move rapidly along - The cars careered down the road.

When we came back to Sydney, I plugged in to the local job networks. I joined up to seek.com and met with a couple of recruitment agents in office buildings with stunning harbour views. Then I snagged a job in an area I hadn't worked in before but wanted to break into. Result, right? Well, kind of. Since I'd switched line of work I had to start from scratch again, and boy have I felt it. Meanwhile, many of my friends – who have been back a few years after their travels, or never left – are enjoying the benefits of their higher station. Career development seems a little like home-ownership here: it's something you should to commit to early, and for the long-haul.

Anyway, I’ve been working for almost a year now, and I'm considering throwing my hat into the ring again. The ads on seek.com don't offer a lot of hope. They suggest that in order to apply for a job you should already be able to do it standing on your head. Some companies seem to be looking for the person who just left the position.

Of course I would complain, given my work history, which is difficult to mesh into a convincing laboural narrative. But I'd like to think if I were an employer I'd look for someone a less 'perfect', and (as Alan Curbishly recently put it) a little bit 'angry and hungry'. Not angry enough to fail the psych test, but you know... Part of me thinks I should avoid the obvious career path and try a more lateral approach. Maybe reaching the next rung is not that important, or even a bit of a trap – like the cat that starts climbing the tree and has to keep going, up and up.

And to stretch the analogy, I am curious to see what I could find with a year's experience under my belt. It would be hard to get another job that was as far away from my house as this one, or paid less, so I guess that's something in my favour. But it would also be hard to find a bunch of colleagues as cool as my current ones.

3 Comments:

At 9:30 pm, Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

What about teaching? Are you against it? I'm sure you would be great and you're certainly experienced. Ad agency work?

I'll keep my thinking hat on (it's small).

b

 
At 9:13 am, Blogger Kristina said...

I know the feeling, Mark. Someday I'll be back to more traditional day job of some sort (barring sudden and lasting bestseller status...not likely!) and I'm going to be so far behind the curve when I get back to it. I will probably switch careers on top of that, and be starting from scratch as well.

Just wanted to say, I relate. Definitely.

 
At 1:30 pm, Blogger Mark said...

Thanks for the ideas, some of which are definitely in the frame ... as my mate Greg says, it's all still to play for.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home