Hello Again, Sydney

One Sydney-sider's experiences moving back to Sydney after a long absence overseas.

Thursday, June 14, 2007

Maid in Colombia

The latest not-new book I'm reading is Memoirs of Hadrian and at the front there's a bio on the author, Marguerite Yourcenar. Cop this:

"Her mother died shortly after her birth and she was brought up and educated by her father. She was reading Racine and Aristophanes by the age of eight and her father taught her Latin at 10 and Greek at 12."

I know what you're thinking - how could her father have left it that long to get her started on Racine?

Actually, I was wondering why I, so merely mortal, even bother. Two (2) of us are so busy picking things up that we haven't considered Greek theatre, although Santi has demonstrated a predeliction for pulling Plutarch's Lives off the bookshelf - it makes a good foundation for Lego castles y'know. But did Yourcenar's dad have the same demands on his time? Did he collect toys (or philosophy books) off the floor or do the housework, or did someone do it for him? Perhaps, he had a maid ...

We had one when we lived in Colombia. Her name was Elsa and man do I miss her (la la la la). Over there it's not just for the filthy rich hacienda dwellers either - solidly middle-class types like me get to exploit the working classes too. Of course, it never felt like that at the time, especially when we didn't have to sweep the floors, wash the clothes, scrub the toilet ... okay, you get the idea. For 20,000 pesos a day (about $10 AUD) you got it all, and she'd even prepare dinner and babysit at a pinch. You justify it by saying "it's more than she would have got if we hadn't hired her", or "it's more than the legal minimum wage", but would I able to survive on 100,000 pesos a week? Barely. And get ahead? Never.

Sure, there are plenty of consumer habits to feel guilty about: pigging out on McDonald's, guzzling Coca-Cola or just doing Nike. We get over it. Now, after almost a year back in these-are-the-rules Sydney, I look back on the halcyon days of having a maid and wonder, should I be ashamed, would I do it again, and most importantly, would it help Santi catch up on his Aristophanes? While our lives consist of an endless ritual of picking up toys (why do they all have so many pieces?) and haciendo oficio, we can't help but dream.

7 Comments:

At 8:30 am, Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Gee, Mark,

Santi doesn't read and write Greek? I'm kind of disappointed. I expected more from you both.

I hope you are at least using the Socratic method. HEY!! WHADDYA THINK?

b

 
At 12:59 pm, Blogger Mark said...

That's how you do it in your class, yeah?

 
At 1:40 pm, Blogger sandman1 said...

δεν αντιλαμβάνεται το κωμικό της κατάστασης

(hee hee!)

 
At 1:35 pm, Blogger Mark said...

Sorry, I know it's an easy one, but ... it's all Greek to me.

 
At 3:06 pm, Blogger sandman1 said...

Oh, but it had to be said!

I don't know Greek at all either, really, I just got it from a translation site and thought it would be fun to put up actual Greek text (did it work in everyone's browser?). Plus there is a little bit of a joke to the text -- here's where the translation is: foreignword.com

 
At 6:32 pm, Blogger Mark said...

Cheers sandman. I like that translation a lot better than the one Babel Fish gave me - "it does not conceive the comedian of situation". That site is a total joke. The only reason anyone goes there is because of its catchy name.

 
At 2:32 pm, Blogger sandman1 said...

I'm glad you got something passable from Babelfish at least -- it wouldn't work correctly for me. I tried it first and it translated "comedy" to " :". Useless! After I found the site I used, I went back to see how babelfish translated that, and some font problem caused both the text and the translated text to come out like this "????? ???? ?????? ?? ??? ?????". Useless again!

I also had tried Google's translator, but it didn't have Greek at all...

I've long liked Babelfish, though, because they were among the first translators, and the name is a reference to Douglas Adam's Hitchhikers Guide, one of the few books in the galaxy that I know.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home