Hello Again, Sydney

One Sydney-sider's experiences moving back to Sydney after a long absence overseas.

Monday, November 05, 2007

Happy feet

Apparently, we only actively use 10 per cent of our brains. The other 90 per cent is occupied thinking about shoes.

At least that's how it's felt to me in the last couple of weeks. I started at Hype in the city where they sell "short-run limited-edition shoes" on a corner of the Pitt Street mall (which should give you an idea of the prices). I picked a couple of models out - what do you think?



These were cool too. And call me a fashion victim but I like the business suit with converse boot thing that's going around at the moment.



So why didn't I get them? Well, if someone concealed a miniature camera inside these shoes and snapped the looks on people's faces when they read the price tag, it would make an entertaining gallery. Most guys would be doing a passable impression of getting kicked in the balls.

Next stop was Platypus, another trendy trainer place in Bondi Junction that always seems to be closing down. On the liquidation table, I found some of the shoes I'd been looking at in Hype.



I like the little men on the side, but there's a split below the cross strap that stretches open when you put them on, revealing whatever daggy sock you might be wearing. I'm not into that. Getting dressed before work is challenging enough without having to worry about coordinating shoes and socks.

You know how it is with shopping. After a couple of disappointments you swear yourself off it. Then I was wandering at lunch and found these.



I'd already decided I liked them when I saw the price - $30. Imagine again the camera in the shoe; the strange thing is, this shot wouldn't look much different to the photo taken in the ultra-pricey place. Why? I guess a fashion item can also be too cheap. So on top of it looking cool and fitting well, it also has to sit in the "right price" pocket. No wonder I'm having trouble.

But I got them. Then yesterday I was at a loose end on my lunch break (becoming a theme) and gravitated towards another shoe store where these bad boys were on special.



So hopefully all this shoe business is over for a while. Still waiting for the surge of brainpower.

On a separate note, one activity you don't need shoes for - swimming! We were back in the water on the weekend. First dip in the sea for this summer. Brrrrrracing.

3 Comments:

At 2:14 pm, Blogger Kristina said...

I liked the cheap ones!

But the black ones are good, too....

 
At 7:15 am, Blogger Mark said...

They're okay, aren't they! I guess I shouldn't complain so much about business casual - it's actually a lot easier for guys than girls in the office, I think.

 
At 10:48 pm, Blogger becky motew said...

I can't take fashion choices. They make me crazy and induce facial tics. Cheap is always good, though. I want to see a photo of Mark the Complete.

b

 

Post a Comment

<< Home