Hello Again, Sydney

One Sydney-sider's experiences moving back to Sydney after a long absence overseas.

Thursday, September 07, 2006

Our heads are expanding

Well, since I was talking about news... death by stingray, Steve Irwin and all that. It’s absolutely everywhere at the moment. There’s a fair amount of eulogising going on in the news. Others argue that he was a bit of a boofhead.

At work, the news spread across the office quickly. People made phone calls to friends and family, checking the details on the net, though I think this had less to do with the impact of the news, and more to do with it being three in the afternoon on a Monday. There were no tears. I wonder if the mobile phone companies and ISPs have graphs of network activity and can explain the spikes after the fact based on world affairs. Probably already happens, eh? One thing I've learnt from doing this blog is that depressingly, whatever idea you've got, someone has already thought of it, and they're smarter and better-positioned to do something about it.

Here in Sydney, people are a lot more switched on about what's going on in cyberspace - the posibilities and the implications and all that. It really is tremendously exciting, but it's only since I've gotten back that I've taken any notice. Little things become easier - like looking up open houses at realestate.com, that was a massive help in the apartment hunt. Then there's stuff like digg, myspace and flickr, and anyway, I'll stop embarrassing myself with my lack of knowledge in this area (see above point). What I mainly want to say is that there is a real head-expanding vibe about it in Sydney.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home