Hello Again, Sydney

One Sydney-sider's experiences moving back to Sydney after a long absence overseas.

Friday, August 11, 2006

Globalised snacking

The other day I was in the skygarden arcade and found a shop called Treats from Home. They sell foodstuffs from Britain like Marmite, PG Tips, Twiglets, Pickled Onion Monster Munch etc. They had Heinz baked beans too, though at $3.50 a can it's not quite the same, is it?

Anyway, I got to thinking how everyone must go through this when they move countries, and wouldn't it be interesting if someone started a shop where they sold the very best snack food items from countries all over the world - kind of a global corner shop. I'd murder a packet of De Todito right now, for example, but what about someone who's been living in Taiwan, or Norway? What is the snack food that they really miss?

Obviously one of the things I was most looking forward to getting back into on return to Oz was the junk food I grew up with. Like a good athlete, I've been pacing myself, eating myself back into the scene slowly. The salt and vinegar chips have taken a bit of a beating, but that's to be expected. It is a very warm and comforting feeling to have all of the familiar brands at my fingertips again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home